The Tesla Site

On the northeast corner of Rte. 25A and Randall Road, behind a guarded fence, stands a sturdy 94 by 94 foot red brick building.  This is the Wardenclyffe Power Plant / Office Building, designed by the well renowned architect Stanford White.  It is the last of prolific turn-of-the-century inventor Nikola Tesla's own work places to remain standing anywhere in the world.  The saga of the building's history, from its construction in 1902 alongside a 187 foot companion tower to house the various components of a prototype world broadcasting and communications facility to later less glamorous uses, is a story yet to be fully told.  The Friends of Science East and the Tesla Wardenclyffe Project are leading an effort to establish a Tesla Science Center in the former laboratory.  This project has the broad support of the community, including the Rocky Point Historical Society and students at Shoreham - Wading River High School.  For more information check the following sites:


Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe

The Tesla Wardenclyffe Project

The proposed museum/science center
This page was last updated on: October 14, 2012
Page problems or comments?  Contact the webmaster.